Do Your Homework: New Videos From eHealthInsurance Challenge College Grads
May 24, 2011
MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA May 25, 2011 – eHealthInsurance (NASDAQ: EHTH), the leading online source of health insurance for individuals and families, today launched four new videos that use an entertaining approach to make 2011 college graduates, and all uninsured Americans, aware of their new health coverage options under the Affordable Care Act.
The videos have been posted on eHealthInsurance’s YouTube page, Blog, and Media Center and all center on the theme of individual responsibility by encouraging viewers to make themselves aware of all of their health insurance options and enroll in coverage.
The videos were created by the winners of a crowd-sourcing video competition eHealthInsurance conducted with Poptent.net. Poptent.net is an online community that connects companies with filmmakers to deliver creative brand messages over the internet. eHealthInsurance challenged the Poptent community to deliver creative videos that would encourage Americans – particularly new college graduates - to review their health insurance options and get covered.
Health care reform made health insurance more accessible for most Americans, especially young adults aged 18-34 who make up 23 percent of the population, but constitute 41 percent of the uninsured population1. eHealthInsurance created the following five tips to help all uninsured Americans (especially those who are new to the job market) take advantage of their new health coverage options under the Affordable Care Act:
- Check your options – Go to eHealthInsurance.com or work with another licensed agent to get quotes for private insurance options in your area. Many people are shocked by how affordable an individual health insurance policy can be, especially for healthy young adults.
- Expect better benefits - Provisions of the health care reform law expanded benefits for many new health insurance policies. For example, it put an end to lifetime dollar limits on coverage for most medical services. It also made certain preventive care services available to policyholders with no out-of-pocket cost and increased consumer protections from rate increases.
- Don’t run from pre-existing conditions – Review eHealthInsurance’s list of pre-existing conditions that don’t necessarily result in a declined application for individual insurance. And, investigate the new Pre-existing Condition Insurance Plan available through the Department of Health and Human Services at Healthcare.gov.
- Get a second opinion – Contact the non-profit Foundation for Health Coverage Education (www.coverageforall.org) if you don’t qualify for private insurance due to a preexisting medical condition or if you want to learn more about public program options in your state. The Foundation for Health Coverage Education can direct you to all available state and federal health insurance products available for people in your position.
- Pay a fair price – Don’t be afraid to negotiate prices for expensive medical procedures. Find out what the going rate is for a host of medical services by visiting Healthcare Blue Book (www.HealthcareBlueBook.com). This strategy is especially helpful for people who have high deductible health insurance plans, Health Savings Accounts (HSAs), are uninsured, or who visit an out-of-network medical provider.
eHealthInsurance has also created a number of resources for customers who are new to researching and buying health insurance, or who need a refresher course.
- Check out our Health Insurance 101 buyer’s guide for students and grads
- Or graduate to our standard Health Insurance Buyer’s Guide
- Visit the eHealthInsurance consumer blog, Get Smart – Get Covered, for more health insurance tips and news
1 Sources: Young Invinicbles analysis of 2010 Current Population Survey 2010 Annual Social and Economic
eHealth, Inc. (NASDAQ: EHTH) is the parent company of eHealthInsurance, the nation's leading online source of health insurance for individuals, families and small businesses. Through the company's website, www.eHealthInsurance.com, consumers can get quotes from leading health insurance carriers, compare plans side by side, and apply for and purchase health insurance. eHealthInsurance offers thousands of individual, family and small business health plans underwritten by more than 180 of the nation's leading health insurance companies. eHealthInsurance is licensed to sell health insurance in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, making it the ideal model of a successful, high-functioning health insurance exchange. Through the company’s eHealthTechnology solution (www.eHealthTechnology.com), eHealth is also a leading provider of health insurance exchange technology. eHealthTechnology’s exchange platform provides a suite of hosted e-commerce solutions that enable health plan providers, resellers and government entities to market and distribute products online. eHealth, Inc. also provides powerful online and pharmacy-based tools to help seniors navigate Medicare health insurance options, choose the right plan and enroll in select plans online through its wholly-owned subsidiary, PlanPrescriber.com (www.planprescriber.com) and through its Medicare website www.eHealthMedicare.com.
For more health insurance news and information, visit the eHealthInsurance consumer blog: Get Smart – Get Covered.
(650) 210-3115 - office
March 10, 2017
March 07, 2017