5 Last-Minute Tips for Individual and Family Health Insurance Shoppers
January 10, 2022
The annual open enrollment period for individual and family health insurance coverage under the Affordable Care Act is set to end January 15, 2022, in most states. Unless you experience a special qualifying event later in the year, this may be your last chance to enroll in a new health insurance plan for 2022.
- Avoid the last-minute rush. The last days of open enrollment can be hectic, but you don’t want to be rushed while choosing something as important as a health insurance plan. Get online today to compare your options.
- Know if you qualify for subsidies. Good news! Even if you didn’t qualify for federal subsidies in prior years, you may qualify in 2022. The federal government has changed the way subsidies are calculated. If the benchmark silver plan in your area will cost more than 8.5% of your income, you’ll probably get subsidy help when you enroll.
- Keep your preferred doctors. If you have a favorite doctor, make sure that he or she is a network provider for any new 2022 plan you’re considering. Websites like eHealth can help you shop for plans based on preferred providers, but you’ll also want to call your doctor confirm network status.
- Make sure your prescriptions are covered. While all ACA plans cover prescription drugs, they differ in the specific drugs that are covered. At private online marketplaces like eHealth, you can sort your plan options according to those that will cover your personal prescriptions at the lowest cost.
- Get personal help and advice when you need it. If you need help understanding how coverage under a new plan would work, or if you need personal advice on picking a plan, a licensed health insurance agent can help. Best of all, it never costs extra to work with an agent when shopping for coverage.