eHealth Public Policy Advisory Committee Established to Advise and Advocate For US Health Care Reform
Experts include former KY Governor Steve Beshear, former LA Governor Bobby Jindal, former Surgeon General Jerome Adams, former IN and NYC Commissioner of Health Woody Myers and former Covered California Board Member Susan Kennedy
Policy recommendations informed by eHealth surveys and consumer insights
SANTA CLARA, Calif., March 4, 2021 -- eHealth, Inc. (NASDAQ: EHTH) (eHealth.com), a leading private online health insurance marketplace, today announced the formation of the eHealth Public Policy Advisory Committee, a panel of distinguished experts gathered to inform the company, the public, and policymakers on ideas for improving health care practices in both the public and private sectors.
Committee members include:
- Steve Beshear/Chairman -- As Governor of Kentucky (2007-2015), Mr. Beshear captured national recognition for leading his state's successful implementation of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and other reforms. Kentucky was among a small number of states that successfully launched a state-based health insurance exchange under the ACA. Mr. Beshear also lectured as a senior leadership fellow at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.
- Jerome Adams, MD -- As Surgeon General of the United States (2017-2021) and Health Commissioner of Indiana (2014-17), Dr. Adams developed a deep understanding of how state and federal policy impacts access to and the quality of health care.
- Bobby Jindal -- As a Louisiana Medicaid Director, lead staff for the Bipartisan Commission on Medicare, Assistant Secretary of Health and Human Services (2001-2003), Member of Congress (2005-2008), and as Governor of Louisiana (2008-2016), Mr. Jindal has been a strong proponent of public/private partnership in health care, with a deep understanding of state and federal health programs as well as the role of the private sector in health care.
- Susan Kennedy -- As Chief of Staff to California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger (2006-2011) and as Cabinet Secretary to Governor Gray Davis (1999-2003), Ms. Kennedy led negotiations on major health care reform legislation in California, including establishing the first state-based health insurance exchange under the ACA. Ms. Kennedy served on the board of Covered California (2011-2015).
- Woodrow "Woody" Myers, MD -- As Health Commissioner of New York City (1990-1991), Health Commissioner of Indiana (1985-1990), Chief Medical Officer of Wellpoint (now Anthem), and Democratic candidate for Indiana Governor, Dr. Myers developed first-hand knowledge of the health care needs of Americans in rural and urban settings.
- John Desser – John Desser has served as Senior Vice President of Public Policy and Government Affairs for eHealth since 2008. Prior to joining eHealth, Mr. Desser was a Deputy Assistant Secretary for Health Policy at the US Department of Health and Human Services. Mr. Desser serves as the company's representative on the Public Policy Advisory Committee.
eHealth was an early supporter of the ACA and has long advocated for public/private partnerships that help millions of Americans find plans that meet their budgets and individual circumstances. eHealth strongly supports the expansion of ACA subsidies as well as reducing the Medicare eligibility age to include Americans over the age of 60.
Each year the company conducts surveys and interacts with millions of consumers to maintain a real-time understanding of Americans' concerns and preferences in the health insurance market. The Public Policy Advisory Committee can use this valuable data stream for its analysis of program efficacy.
"eHealth is excited to share new resources for informing and guiding policy decisions," said eHealth CEO Scott Flanders. "The eHealth Public Policy Advisory Committee offers a wealth of experience and insights on health care trends and best practices for consumers. Their work will be informed and supported by the direct contact and input we receive from millions of consumers each year."
"This is a committee of experts with a real-world understanding of how health care policy is made, how it is implemented, and the profound impact it has on people's lives," said former Kentucky Governor Steve Beshear. "Our aim is to provide ideas and guidance to both the private and public sectors, encouraging them to work together to provide positive outcomes for American consumers."
"eHealth is deeply committed to the public/private partnership at the core of America's health care system," said eHealth Senior Vice President of Public Policy and Government Affairs John Desser. "The eHealth Public Policy Advisory Committee was established to inform both government and private companies on how we can work together to provide better coverage for more Americans."
eHealth, Inc. (NASDAQ: EHTH) operates a leading health insurance marketplace at eHealth.com and eHealthMedicare.com with technology that provides consumers with health insurance enrollment solutions. Since 1997, we have connected more than 8 million members with quality, affordable health insurance, Medicare options, and ancillary plans. Our proprietary marketplace offers Medicare Advantage, Medicare Supplement, Medicare Part D prescription drug, individual, family, small business and other plans from over 180 health insurance carriers across fifty states and the District of Columbia.
Media inquiries, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org