August 11, 2009
eHealth has offices in Mountain View and Gold River, California. The parent company of eHealthInsurance, eHealth's purpose is to help individuals, families and small businesses find and purchase the right health insurance. To that end, http://www.ehealthinsurance.com/ brings together more than 10,000 health plans from more than 180 health insurance companies nationwide.
The Market Situation
- The health care segment of the U.S. GDP was an estimated $1.9 trillion in 2004. Health insurance is the single largest component of the health care segment. U.S. health insurance premiums were estimated to be $658 billion in 2004.
(Source: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services)
- There were an estimated 47 million individuals in the U.S. without health insurance in 2006. (Source: U.S. Census Bureau)
- Small businesses employ more than half of the private sector workforce and represent 99% of all businesses in America. (Source: U.S. Small Business Administration Office of Advocacy.)
In 2003, small businesses provided health insurance to 28 million Americans. (Source: Employee Benefits Research Institute)
The Company: eHealth
- eHealth began selling health insurance over the Internet in late 1998.
- eHealth currently employs more than 300 people.
- eHealth has a dedicated Customer Care Center located in Gold River, Calif. with more than 100 employees. Of them, more than 50 full-time health insurance-licensed employees are available by phone to counsel, answer questions and help consumers find the most appropriate insurance for themselves, their family, and/or their employees.
- eHealth and its employees have over 1,000 agency and individual licenses to sell health insurance.
- eHealth and/or its employees are licensed in all 50 states and the District of Columbia.
The Business: eHealthInsurance
- eHealthInsurance is the leading online source of health insurance for individuals, families and small businesses.
- More than one million policy lives have been insured nationwide through eHealthInsurance.
- More than forty percent of the company's members were uninsured for at least six months prior to obtaining health insurance through eHealthInsurance, according to an October, 2005 survey of our members.
- eHealthInsurance is a leading sales originator for many of the nation's leading health insurance companies.